Friday, February 13, 2015

Week #1 - The MTC

Hola familia! 

Just so you all know, upon arrival they switched my language to Spanish so it looks like all those years of school paid off!.........just kidding, it's still English.............sooo....cool.. But anyway...

I have been put into a trio with Elder Evans from West Jordan and Elder Ostrowski from Layton. We're all going to Jamaica together!! Evans graduated a year before Ostrowski and I, and played baseball and football. Ostrowski did the swimming/ballroom kind of thing. They are both super chill guys and it made me feel a lot better that they were just as lost and confused as I was.

I'll be honest, the first day of the MTC was HARD. I was confused and disoriented and (despite the fact that my body was dead because of the lack of sleep the night before) wasn't really having a great time for the first little while. The first day felt like it was never going to end, and by the time I got to my bed I think it finally hit me that I'm here. I felt a little discouraged but I was looking for a T shirt in my suitcase when I found that book that the fam made for me. And can I just say, that was EXACTLY what I needed. It definitely lifted my spirits a lot so thank you guys so much for that.

The second day was 100x better than the first! I spent my second night trying to figure out why my second day was so much better than my first. My conclusion was that we stopped focusing on ourselves and started learning how to teach. We're already learning how to get lost in the work and I think that is what is making my experience here a lot better!

Even though this is only day #3 for me, I feel like I have learned soooo much already! My teachers are all awesome and I met Elder Palmer from Moses Lake that is going to Jamaica with us. He is Elder Stever's companion and he also way cool!

Our district is just our trio and two pairs of sisters, Sister Wilson from Utah and Sister Williams from Rexburg, and Sister Buhler from Utah and Sister McArthur from Haiti. My whole district is the coolest and we're all getting really close already. We eat all our meals together and can joke around and have a good time, but they also all have killer testimonies and it is super cool to hear them share what they know to be true!!

More crazy news, I've been here for three days and they already called Ostrowski and I to be zone leaders (our zone covers our district and one other district). That assignment starts on Sunday when they release the current ZL's. But it's all craziness and I'm excited and a little nervous to get going with that.

Waking up at 6:30 has yet to be a problem for me which is really nice. Also, when our schedule has a blank spot, I'm already starting to feel weird because usually we are going going going non stop from the time we get up to the time we go to bed.

The food is fantastic (not as good as mama's cooking of course) but don't worry, I usually can barely finish my food so I have yet to go back for seconds. Unlike everyone else, this elder will not be gaining weight here haha.

We got our travel info for the flights to Jamaica and we leave on TUESDAY, February 24, not Monday like we thought. We have a layover in Atlanta instead of Miami as well. So the Tuesday after next will be early for us (first flight leaves at 7:05am). We won't get to Kingston until like 7:30pm. But no biggy.

Well that's about it. Kind of a lot for just three days hahaha but that's just what happens in the MTC.

I'll catch you all next Friday, and the one after that, I'll be in Jamaica!!!

Love, 
Elder Graham


 My District

 My bed (only three of us and three separate bunkbeds so we all get bottom bunks)

Sisters in our district (from left to right): Sister Buhler, McArthur, Williams, and Wilson

 I'm on the left, Ostrowski in the middle and Evans on the right


The good ol' name tag


No comments:

Post a Comment